Descriptive writing is about using the power of words to arouse and capture the reader’s attention and create a lasting impact.

Descriptive writing strives to invoke a vivid and involved experience for the reader. It is often considered as one of the most creative forms of writing since it is basically about being able to evoke emotions in the reader through the power of words. Through descriptive, you have the ability to arouse the reader’s senses and create a lasting impact on his or her mind. This effect can be achieved not through statistics and facts, but by detailed descriptions and observations.

Write a descriptive paragraph that follows the 1)  structure of a paragraph 2) uses well written sentences 3) uses a variety of descripive vocaulary and 4) CREATES A LASTING IMPRESSION

73 thoughts on “Descriptive writing is about using the power of words to arouse and capture the reader’s attention and create a lasting impact.

1. The Washington Capitals are my favorite hockey team. My favorite hockey player on the team is Alexander Ovechkin he’s a Russian. He can skate, dangle and snipe. At the winter classic he played against my most hated player Sidney Crosby. In the 1st period Ovechkin went on a 1 on 1 against Kris Letang he put it right through his legs and as he was looking at the top right corner he took a wrist shot right past his shoulder the light had turned red as he scored! The crown went wild as Ovechkin jumped into the glass screaming “Yeah!” as Letang had his head down in disappointment. Then the buzzer rang as they headed in the 2nd period then when the Capitals hit the ice the crowd started cheering while the team started to stretch and then the penguins came out on the ice so the crowd started to boo them. The referee had dropped the puck as the 2nd period started and Ovechkin took the puck and raced down the ice but Malkin took the puck away from him and passed it to Crosby the he was on a clean breakaway he came up against brayden holtby and put it through his five hole and scored. He came up to Ovechkin and laughed right in his face then Ovechkin pushed him towards his bench it was tied through the whole period as the headed into the dressing rooms to get ready for the 3rd period. The goalie was the first one to touch the ice and the crowd was silent they didn’t cheer or boo that’s how you would know that the game was serious. The referee went to the center of the and dropped the puck and the capitals wont the faceoff and they passed it to Nicolas Backstrom the he passed it right to Ovechkin and he shot but he hit the glass and made a loud screaming noise and it rang the crowds ears as the plugged them with their hands and with 20 seconds left on the clock Ovechkin got a break away and he want crossbar down on the goalie and the jumped with his hands in the air and went right to the glass and screamed at the fans as the screamed too as they waved their Washington capital flags in the air then the referee had dropped the puck and the penguins won the faceoff but there was on 2.5 seconds left then the buzzer rang the capitals had took the game 2 to 1 the crowd was jumping on their toes!

2. Descriptive writing
    As I run down the long wide path, the damp tall grass sends a shiver down my back. The hollow trees swain in the light breeze as the sun shined brightly in the sky. The wolves howled loudly at one another as if they had found their next spot of prey. The sent of crunched leaves filled the air, as I picked up the multi- colored leaf it crinkled in my hand and turned to nothing but tiny pieces. My cheeks began to turn red and my nose was as stuffy like a turkey on thanksgiving. Each stride i took my legs began to tremble from the cold. My hands felt like icicles, cause they were frozen.

3. On and on the candle light was glowing. No matter the hours that were spent through out the night could the light from the candle burn and never disappear, the wax to dissolve slowly overtime as if a darkness was being consumed by light. But even in the wee hours of morning the candle was still shining bright, stubborn to stop its glow and consume all of the wax. The soft glow it cast in the darkness created creeping menacing shadows upon the bookshelves and walls, over the darkened piano and showed its eery reflection in the window. The candle grew dimmer, it’s flame flickering at what seemed to be an invisible breeze, fighting back to stay aflame. The flame erupted into nothing, and its light left the room in an unsettling darkness, the only visible sight now the greyish dark smoke coming off of the wick.

4. My favorite flats are brand new; I bought them in the mall at West 49. They aren’t broken in yet. And leave painful spots on my feet. Other than that they are like pillows on my feet, and are soft to the touch. They are purple, red, and blue, with a flower pattern throughout. My shoes fit perfectly and usually squeak when I walk. Even though these shoes hurt my feet for now and squeak, they are the best pair of shoes that I have ever owned.

5. Winter night

It was a cold winter night as I was walking home in the dark all alone. Nobody in sight just me and the dogs barking and howling. Owls hooting and the wind blowing plush splish, splashing of my cold wet boots. It was 12 minutes until home I looked over the fields I only see a farmer still working. I looked at my watch it was about 3 am there I was running home just 8 minutes from the doorstep and it was getting even colder it started snowing really hard and my pants were frozen solid. Plus I saw my house, a big white house and there I was home.

6. Bullying
    I haven’t been bullied really badly before, not to the point I wanted to bring any harm too myself. But I do have some past experiences; I was a minor verbal bully. In grade 6, I felt like I was the boss of the school, since it was the highest grade in the school I was attending at the time. I didn’t bully kids every day, but I would say things like “little kid” and disrespectful comments like that to other kids in grade 4 and 5, but I really regret it. I would role my eyes in the hallways, when I had really no reason to be mean towards them. Then one day I looked back to when I was in grade 4 and 5. I was bullied then, by girls who would roll their eyes at me and push me around. It really sucked, and I knew how those kids I was being rude too felt. As I went to school, I just stopped being rude, and didn’t pay attention a lot. But when I and my two friends bullied, we got stuck in the moment and kept blurting out things that were in fact really mean. But as the year was coming to an end, we became more mature and aware of our actions. Now in grade 7, we’re back to being the youngest in the school. And I hope one day I’ll be brave enough to apologize for my actions.

7. Emily E – you’ve done well with your aromatic description as well as your description of the store in which you would find these exotic and enticing aromas. Would you find a store like this in Seattle? Would it be something you’d find at Macy’s? I like the favourite aromas you’ve identified – Watermelon, Strawberry, Spanish Grapefruit, Vanilla and Guava. You remind of John LeCarre’s novel, The Night Manager and Jonathon Pine and where he encounters vanilla as a lingering and compelling aroma. Well done!

8. Motocross
    Motocross, its hard hitting competitive sport. When you line up at the gate, the thirty board goes sideways. The gate drops, and that’s when the extreme fun starts. After the gate drops there’s ten guys on each side of you, you’re getting chunks of dirt flung right at you from your competitors back tires. But when you go into a corner you don’t know what’s going to happen. For fifteen minutes your body and your bike are at the ultimate limit.

9. The Best Place to Visit

Canada is the best place to visit because of their beautiful nature they have many trees. And they have beautiful culture to. And I like the weather here at Canada because they have the freezing winter and the warming summer. Every winter you can play hockey ice skating. Every summer you can walk and play basketball, soccer, etc. So for me the best place to visit is canada

1. I really liked how you explained the peanut butter ice cream so good now I really want to try some

Good Job, Heather!

10. The Goal
    It was a rainy night in the city of champions, the best goal I ever scored in my life. It was one to remember. Walking into the dressing room, my stomach was tying its own intricate knots. The game would start in approximately twenty five minutes. Laughing and getting dressed with my peers, the hockey expert of the team is giving a scouting report of the tough and rowdy Boston squad. The coach walked awkwardly into the dressing room, obviously quite nervous and scared of what might happen, and tried to give us an encouraging message for the big game. The puck dropped and the play was on! I quickly snatched the biscuit and darted past the opposing forwards. This was the most challenging part, getting past the D. Swiftly; I scooped the black disk onto the blade of my stiff twig, and spun around cradling the puck very fast. With the goalie not expecting it, I rocketed the puck right over the keepers left shoulder. The crowd erupted like 50,000 firecrackers set off at the exact same time. Even the bruins players were staring jaw dropped in awe. It was like I just won the hometown Oilers lord Stanley’s cup in overtime of game 7, yet it was only 6 seconds into the game. What an amazing goal I just scored!

11. The path
    As I walk down the long narrow path, the damp grass sends a shiver down my spine. The hollow trees seemed to sway in the light breeze as the moon shined brightly in the sky. The wolves howled loudly at one another as if they had found their next meal. The smell of crunched leaves filled the air, as I picked up the multi colored leaf it crippled in my hand and turned to dust. My cheeks began to turn red and my nose was as stuffy like a turkey on thanksgiving. With each step i took my legs began to tremble from the cold.

12. Riding a horse.

As I was putting the saddle on the bold, muscular horse the heat from the sun hit my back. It was a scorching hot day in southern Texas, but I could handle it. I was all saddled up and ready to go. I put my foot in the rugged, old stirrup and climbed up onto my tall, sleek horse Red. We trotted away going up the road into the huge, lush field full of insects, birds and all that wheat. The crisp wind lifting my hair as we loped up and around. Red’s strong body under me, both feet moving, felt so smooth with me just sitting there. It was starting to get a little bit cooler. Big red and I rode for about 2 hours around the ranch. It was a delightful time with my horse and I. I live for moments like those