Should our health care system treat people living a healthy life style first?

Unhealthy lifestyle choices could be so ingrained in us by the time we are 16 that there is no way back from a life of illness, scientists claim.
A sedentary lifestyle, bad eating habits and alcohol consumption all kick in by the age of 19, but researchers found that 16 was the ‘tipping point’ for this type of behavior.

QUESTION: With the long line ups for people waiting to see health care specialists, who should our health care professionals be treating first or should they treat everyone the same no matter what their lifestyle choices? Give good reasons to back up your answers.

28 thoughts on “Should our health care system treat people living a healthy life style first?

1. I agree with natasha because if u choose to take care of yourself and something is actually wrong with you,you should get in first instead of some intoxicated man. That’s just me I guess. I totally agree with you Natasha.

2. seriously, many of you will not like my opinon on this topic, but i have the right to express it. i think that the ones that take there health seroiusly should be the ones being looked at first instead of the ones that “choosed” to ruin there life, with unhealthy ways. for example, when i was younger from the age 4 to 10 i practially lived in the hosipital, i saw alot more happen in there then most of you. i remeber being there one night, i was having an asthma attack when i saw an intoxiced man walk through the emergency doors, he was yelling around about him having an headache. while there was a little 3 year old sitting beside me crying in pain about his back hurting. you know what the nurses got the intoxiced man in right away and the little boy has been sitting there with his mom for about an hour, as long as i was there. it turned out later that the intoxiced man only had an headache for his alcohol consumption and the little boy turned out that his some of back bones had broke when he fell from when his swing. imagine that a little 3 year old in pain for hours cause of a broken back. i really disagree with our health system the way it is. its your choice if you want to be unhealthy just remeber theres more serious problems than you. choose wisely of your life.

3. I belive that it should not be on how they treat them selves but, the are worth saving. Criminals should die if they are life are conviced for life or if some one is worthless. You are worthless if you dont work and live off pay from the goverment, when you could be working! There is a big diffrences between not working because you cant and because you wont (because you cant find a job does not count if you try). People like this are leaches off the blood of the goverment and us. Worst of all they teach there kids to be worthless. If you are a lifer or worthless, then don’t go to the doctor, JUST DIE! Good people that work don’t need you in this world.

4. The type of lifestyle shouldn’t matter because it wouldn’t make sense if a person didn’t have a healthy lifestyle and they have more serious injury, would have to wait while another person with healthier lifestyle gets to go first.

5. No, because like Ocean said everyone chooses to lead a different lifestyle, and everyone has a right to have a good health care system.

6. Yes the health care system should treat people who live healthy first because its only fair because the unhealthy one kinda deserve it.

7. I think they should treat everyone the same because everyone chooses to lead a different lifestlye, everyone should have the right to proper medical care.

8. I strongly believe that everyone should be given the opportunity to have good health care no matter if they are healthy or not. Some healthy people get sick no matter what they do. Meaning they can eat 100% healthy, exercise every single day, and still get sick. But unhealthy people can still get sick as well. Does that mean that the health care professionals should treat them any different, or not give them 110% of their effort to help them. Heck no !people are still people, no matter if they are healthy or not. But not helping them it would be unequal, and unfair on their human rights. Everyone has the right to live life, and everyone should live their life to the fullest. Sometimes having the scare of a lifetime snaps people in the butt that they need to become healthy cause they really do want to live life. So I truly believe that everyone should be given the same amount of health care no matter their health.

9. i think they should treat the critical conditions first then handle the rest the same though it should not matter if you treat your body wrong or mistreat your lifestyle badly they should still treat you if your sick

10. Regardless of lifestyle choice, the more serious cases should get treated first. This means people with worse injuries, children and women. It is a doctor’s duty, which they chose along with their vocation, to help those in need; not question and judge. If a person has made wrong choices in their life that does not mean they should suffer needlessly. We have all made bad choices; done things we aren’t proud of. But in all honesty, how many of you really live “healthy” lives? Even more than that is people being treated differently because of your past. The true measure of a person is not where they have been, but where they are going and who they are today. By many of your opinions, prisoners and the elderly should get treatment last. People in prison have made bad choices like the unhealthy person so they should get tretaed last. The elderly were from a time when everyone smoked and besides, they are old so health doesn’t really matter anymore. How many think that is a pile of stupid. The unhealthy, elderly, and all those with wrong choices in their past atre people too. None of you may consider this either but what about your parents and grandparents. Chances are they aren’t “healthy” but you would sue to make sure they get proper treatment. Those living unhealthy lives may be making wrong choices but that in no way means they are any less deserving of medical attention.

11. In my opinion it kind of depends. If you are in need of a doctor and you are really sick should be first. I also think that if you have a health care card you should be first pick and if you don’t have a card you should be last.

12. Everyone has a different lifestyle. Do I think that they should treat healthy living people first, no I do not. Whywould you treat the people who are healthier than the rest of them, the others that have worse health should be treated first because they are not as healthy as the others.

13. I believe the people with health care should get the first choice. It also depends on who is in more danger, if someone is very sick then that person should be checked first. If they are equal then the person with health care should be cheked first.

14. I believe that people with healthier lifestyles should be treated first. If a healthy peson is in a hospital because of, lets say, an athsma attack, and an unhealthy person is there because of a clogged atrery, I believe that the one with athsma should be treated first. I mean if I was a doctor and if these two people showed up at the same time I’d choose the first one. The peson with the clogged atrery had a choice to wreck their body, while the one with athsma didn’t. The one with athsma never did anything wrong, besides working out to hard. The one with the clogged artery ate junk food their whole life and never tried to burn it off.

15. I think a docter because they know what any problem is and they know cures for them.If the doctor can’t help you nobody can.

16. I think that the health care professionals should treat everyone the same unless it is someone that has a very serious issue. A serious issue would be like if the person was so un-health that he could die in a few months. The health care professionals should check on thier customers before they do anything.People should be aware about there health by themselfs.

17. The specialists should be helping the deathly sick and not someone who has a tiny cold. If I were to change this way it would be people that are seriously sick and not someone who has a small cough or a stomach ache. If you’re going to go to the hospital for something so small why go? I think people should treat their bodies good too because it’s the only one you get and you should treat it with respect.

18. They should treat everyone the same amount of time in the line up, cause whos fault is it if you need health care in the first place? Unless its an accident, you should be making healthy choices for your self, and how you live.

19. I think that those with unheathy life styles
    should get medical care first.
    It also depends on what is wrong.
    People with unheathy life styles are more vulnerable to disease and injury; where as more heathy people can last a little longer.

20. In my opinion i do not believe that people should be treated because of their lifestyle choices. I think people should be treated first if they are in a life threatening condition. I think people that are younger and elderly people before middle aged people. Healthcare should be availble for everybody no matter what their life choices are.

21. I think our health care professionals should treat everyone with the same, no matter what the lifestyle choice is. Everyone deserves to be treated equally and It should not matter how the lifestyle is.

22. I Think that health care specialists should treat people and see them the same way no matter what their lifestyle choices are , just because they got themselves sick doesn’t mean that health care specialists shouldn’t take care of them . Well it is their own fault for getting themselves sick but it’s still unfair to the sick people .

23. I think that the people that choose to live a healthy lifestyle with exercise and eating the proper foods should receive health care before the people that don’t take very good care of themselves. If you choose to sit inside all day eating Twinkies, drinking pop and watching TV, why should our tax money be spent taking care of you when you get sick? It doesn’t make much sense to me. In Canada we pay taxes so that everyone that needs help, gets it, but the way I see it, why should the rest of the country help someone that can’t even help themselves? It’s not fair to let the people that take care of themselves wait while the people that take advantage over our health care system get whatever they want. You should take care of yourself before the rest of the country takes care of you.

24. Health care professional’s should treat the more serious patients and then treat the less serious patients; although children and the elderly should be treated first. People who try to keep themselves healthy won’t get sick as often as people who trash their bodies, those people who get sick often should not get into a doctor’s office before the people who rarely get sick.

25. People who actually care about their lifestyle and health should get the care they need before those who just laze around, eat bad food and who get absolutely no exercise. This is because they will just misuse the help that they receive. But the ones that do eat healthy and get exercise will take the help and use it like they are supposed to. People who actually care should get the care they need first, and then the people who don’t care can wait until everyone else goes, because it was their choice to be like they are in the first place.

26. Usually there are many people that go to the hospital for many reasons. Ranging anywhere from a flu to broken bones to cancer. Personally, I believe the people that have a more severe illness should defiantly be treated first. Even if this people doesn’t really do anything to contribute to society. I don’t think we should let them suffer and possibly even die because we are being selfish.

27. I believe that our healthcare workers should be dealing with children first then adults because children are the ones that will be taking over our country and world. I also believe that if people have had a bad lifestyle they should get the same health care at first. So the first few times they come into the hospital they should be treated and told to change their life style but if they don’t they should be bumped down to the bottom of our health care list! I think this is fair because they have now made the choice to be unhealthy instead of healthy so I don’t think we should have to fix them up.