To wear a uniform or not to wear a uniform, that is the question!

images[4]

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to have to wear uniforms to school?  They are often mandatory if you attend a private school, like Miss Osmond did in Dubai.  Do you think they would be a positive thing to have in a public school system as well, such as HLPS, or do you think they would have more negative aspects?  State 2-3 reasons FOR and 2-3 reasons AGAINST having uniforms in school.  State your opinion and why you feel that way.  If you had to wear a uniform, would you rather have all of the clothing look exactly alike or would you rather have mix and match options?  Why?  If you were picked to design a uniform for your school, what would it look like?  What rules would you have for wearing the uniform?

98 thoughts on “To wear a uniform or not to wear a uniform, that is the question!

1. So many students are against the idea of school uniforms. I recently went to Guatemala and every student wear a school uniform because many of them are poor and can’t afford decent clothes. Let’s face it, many students in our school can’t either. School uniforms eliminate the social program and it ables us to be socialble with each other without judgement. I’m all for school uniforms but either way school uniforms or not we’re all her for an education. Not to be judged.

2. I am not in favour of school uniforms at all. I would not like having to dress a certain way and have no choice or individuality. It’s a terrible idea and I wouldnever support it. But uniformswould be good to reduce bullying. That is pretty much it.

3. I think that school uniforms are a terrible idea for schools. It will eliminate individuality for our students in every school district. It will not stop bullying just cause of some same matching clothes. It might depress our students or cause them to drop out. So for the sake of our school uniforms are not the best idea for students.

4. yes,I think its a great idea to wear uniforms.Its time consuming, for both teachers and students. It would take a lot of your time to pick out what you would wear , especially for girls, but for uniforms It wouldnt take you that long.It would be easier to tell what school you attend.It would lessen the bullying.You would also save up money, since all you would have to buy are casual clothes for the weekends.You would look more profesional , representing your school.You wouldnt be judged since you would look similar to everyone else.

5. i think we should’nt wear uniforms cause its a public school. Were taking away our individuality and it would probably cuause abit of bullying from other poeple and of what we wear

6. everyone should be equal. but people should also be able to express who they are through their clothing. either way its ok

7. It would be terrible because it is a public school. It’s the only school, and it would be bogus to make people do that in a public school. It would cause issues and make people look strange.

8. I disagreee
    1. Wearing different styles of clothes expresses who you are.
    2. People say it will cut down bulling by wearing school uniforms but for me I personally digaree with that. Like for examply, Someone would probably make a comment on another persons uniform and say “Oh, I wear my uniform so much better then that person”. No one wears clothes better than anyone. Maybe you do not like what other people wear but keep it to yourself, don’t let others feel bad about what they’re wearing, its their style not yours.
    3. It takes down peoples freedom on wearing whatever clothes they want to wear.

9. I think school uniforms are a terrible idea it will negatively effect students. It will eliminate the individuality of our students in school. Students will be even less enthusiastic about school than before. We should not invoke school uniforms at all for the sake of individuality. Plus students could become depressed or drop out of school.

10. I just think that school uniforms for my school shoudln`t even be discussed because nobody in my school would wear them. I personally think that the school uniforms wouldn`t be good for any school like just to be honest with you. Students and teachers should be able to just wear what they want and like, but at the same time the students should be dressed appropriate and should not wear clothes that show too much skin. My opinion is just my opinion, but I think that my opinion is very good to know, yeah. Everyone should stop wearing inappropriate clothing and should wear clothing that doesn`t show too much skin.

11. I don’t think HLPS should have school uniforms, most people wouldn’t like it, including myself. The way students dress at HLPS expresses who they are. It would stop kids bullying others but it will cost a lot of money. School uniforms are so plain and boring.

12. No uniforms suck and nobody wants them they will look ugly and it will be hard tofind somebody when everyone is wearing the same thing many people including me wont put them on. it would not be good

13. I thin k that uniforms are very bad ideas. It takes awaly the childs ability to express themselves and show their induviduality. They are way to plain, also it doesn’t help stop bullying. People will always bully no matter how small of an issue is. So i propose that we do not wear school uniforms. Kids these days need to show how unique they are and wearing uniforms will not allow that.

14. I dont think a lot of kids will want to wear uniforms, just because they probably like wearing new things and not just the same thing everyday.Plus not many students will follow the rules of wearing uniforms, so a lot of kids will get into trouble. but it might also solve some problems, especially with kids who dont have the nicest clothes like other kids.

15. Three reasons why we shouldn’t wear school uniforms:

1.) Students will just get irritated because of the itchy cloth from the school uniforms.

2.) Students will not wear because they’re not use to it.

3.) It’s just a waste of money because some students would probably burn their school uniforms because they’re so irratated and they don’t like wearing it.

16. I feel that uniforms would simply be an annoyance. In thery, everyone looking the same should reduce bullying. In reality people would simply be bullyed for different things. And who would pay for the uniforms anyway.

17. i disagree on this question, i think that the students shouldnt have to wear uniforms. the should be able to express their feelings through their clothes. so if you make them wear uniforms the wont be able to express their feelings.

18. I belive that HLPS shouldn’t have a school uniform because I can see student wearing many different types of clothing. Weather its colorful , dark , happy , or sad. I also think clothing helps express yourself in many ways. Some people find school uniforms to controlling. It could also be ok because some kids dress inappropriate. A school uniform can control what we wear and how we wear it. I personally would NOT like to have a uniform because I would like to express my feeling in my clothing. If I would design a school uniform all students would have pants , a white long sleeve shirt.

19. The positive things about uniforms is that it cost less and less people would get bullyed it might make some people more confident at schoole. Some negative things are that some people might refuse to were their uniforms plus it takes away peoples induviduality most people dont want to have to were the same thing as every one else they dont allow people to express thier self and the schools always say to be above average uniforms would make everyone more average because everyone would be wearing the same thing.

20. I disagree. I don’t think our school should wear uniforms, reasons would be that everyone would look the same, causing no individuality and our school may become unoriginal and therefore boring. Students may have a low self esteem because not everyone looks appealing in all clothing and because we are a public school so we should be allowed to wear clothes that we feel comfortable in.
    On the other hand people may feel less judged if they don’t have a choice of clothing on a daily basis and hopefully cause less bullying, also it would save money having to buy less.
    If I had to wear a uniform I would rather have the option of multiple outfits rather than one. Because then I would have the choice rather than forced to wear the exact same thing every day.
    If I had to design a uniform i would have sweater vests and white long sleeved shirts for the boys with tan pants or shorts in summer and pants or capris and elbow length shirts with school logo on the front of girls shirts. All of these will be in school colors. The rules would be they can wear any accessories.

21. i think school uniforms are dumb because we should be able to wear whatever we want if its appropriate and not care what people think about us so i disagree with the school uniforms

22. Personally I find that with no uniforms you can express your self, you are unique and you look ten times better! Some upside to wearing uniforms is when your at tournaments people know whos school you go to.

23. I wouldent like to wear school uniforms because i think it wold cost to much and i like to be different but i would like them because people could not bug you about your chlothes
    and people would think our school is more organised.

24. a reason to have uniforms is so that nobody wears anything inapropreite and nobody will get bullied for their clothes and to provew that you go to that school. a couple reasons to not have uniforms everybody should be different and express them selves and to be them self

25. I personally think it is a great idea, because I think it makes us as a school look more professional. we also don’t have to worry about dressing inappropriate. it also saves more money for the parents.I would not mind wearing a uniform. 🙂

26. I disagree because the clothes that people wear are based on our personalities. Say if a person was to wear all neon colors and there always out there, and spectacular, maybe they love to dress themselves in happy colors because it makes them feel happy, if we have school uniforms it would strip them of there colors and they would probably be unhappy about not being able to get there own clothes out. If people want to feel free they should be able to wear clothes of there choice, just as long as they are not inappropriate. The only schools that should have uniforms is Private Schools, NOT public schools. I see it reasonable enough that they have uniforms because they are more professional and there parents pay for that kind of stuff. Another thing that would be acceptable is, say basketball teams, and volleyball teams. The students wouldn’t be very pleased and most people wouldn’t come in them, especially senior highs, they would definitely would NOT olike that. Some of then are fashionista’s and I don’t think they would like it.  And the bullying won’t cut down, it would probably rise, due to the people not wearing uniforms they might pressure people into not wearing, say they don’t, they will be bullied, uniforms will not stop bullying, they just make things worse, therefore I disagree.

27. I am not a big fan of Uniforms, I have never had one but I think they would be a problem.

Reasons why I don’t want them.
    1. We could lose the Uniform somewhere.
    2. They could be ugly.
    3. Some people would not like them.

Reasons why I would want them:
    1. They could have SOME style.
    2. Who knows maybe we might like them.
    3. We could save money.

If I could.. I would Love to have the choice of Mixing
    and Matching, But overall I wouldn’t like to have Uniforms
    Whatsoever. I just don’t like Uniforms.

28. I think it’s a good idea to have school uniforms. Because on everyone is wearing the same thing so no one can bully you for what you wear. And also it costs less than having to buy more school clothes all the time. But one of the down points is that you cant wear what you want in order to express yourself. You shouldn’t be forced to wear things you don’t want to. So I think it should all depend on the student body. Im not against it but I wouldn’t promote it either.

29. I think school uniforms are not a good idea. there’s a whole bunch of people that get made fun of because of how there dressed. But it’s called being different. You can’t have a whole school filled with the same looking people. That’s too boring. There is lots of people in our school that want to show the way they dress, and that there proud of how they dress. Sure there is lots of people that get bullied because of how there figure looks. Maybe a person in our school has a certain type of clothing that makes them confident. You don’t want someone in our school who isn’t comfortable or confident in the clothing we give them? You may all think that we can just pay to wear whatever we want, but some of these people in our school might not have enough money to feel confident in what we will wear. I choose not to have us assigned to School Uniforms.

30. Uniforms
    I personally agree, I think that you should have to wear uniforms but I think that not all schools should. I believe that private schools should and schools with only one gender should too, I think that maybe some high schools should but maybe not all of them should. I know that it would help stop bullying and stuff but still I know for sure that if you did a survey here at our school most people would say no to uniforms and plus that’s expensive. 

31. you have a point jane we should wear a school uniform to stop bullying and to save money. good job jane. 🙂 🙂

32. I strongly disagree with school uniforms.
    AGAINST
    1. The clothes that we wear today identify who we are. A lot of kids around the world and even in HLPS use what they wear to show what kind of person they are. Are clothes give us individuality and with school uniforms it completely takes away every bit of individuality in a person.
    2. I myself have never seen school uniforms that look good. All of them are really formal wear and kids now days are all about sweats and a T-shirt.
    3. A lot of people keep saying that it will massively cut down on bullying. I think that this will only cut a very small portion of it.
    FOR
    1. School uniforms will cut down on only a very small amount of bullying.
    2. Would cut down a lot of the inappropriate clothes people wear.

With this I strongly think that school uniforms are not a good idea it takes away from peoples freedom and their individuality. If they say Canada is a free country then we should be free to wear whatever we want.

33. I think uniforms are a great Idea because like Isaac said they will cut down on bullying. Although they will eliminate most of the student’s individuality. People wouldn’t be bullied for what they are wearing anymore. People wouldn’t be able to express who they are if they put in school uniforms which is also very important. Some people also may not like what the uniforms look like but have to wear them. Everyone would be equal as long as people pretty much looked the same.

34. Theresa, I think that you stated a very vaild point with the fact that school uniforms will help students do better in school. Maybe if students weren’t being judged constantly by what they wear, they could focus more on their education.

35. I do not believe that we should have school uniforms because they do not allow us to express ourselves. We will have a lack of personal identity and humbleness if uniforms are put into place. Also we will be more singled out for the way we physically look rather than the way we dress.
    On the other hand, uniforms create a sense of unity and formality within the school. People won’t be judged by their economic standing any further if everyone is wearing the same thing.
    I am fully aware of both arguments on this topic, but my opinion stands. I believe that school uniforms will have a negative impact on students.

36. School uniforms are great in the aspect that they cut down on the the bullying that comes from the price tag of our clothes. They show formality and respect, for yourself and others. But it doesnt allow you to show indentity, it doesnt tlet you be yourself. Some girls may not be comfortable in skirts, like myself. So they might not appreciate the school uniforms. If HLPS were to have school uniforms, they would all have to be the same. As thats what they are ment to do. Make everyone an equal.

37. I would not put school uniforms into a public school. In private school systems it seems reasonable to have uniforms, but for public schools it wouldn’t work. Private schools have uniform to make their school look more professional and to equal the playing field, so in a way that would be a good idea for our own school, everyone would be the same. It would not be a good idea for a public school such as our own because how could you enforce students to wear them? For gym classes students are required to wear gym wear but often students don’t want to change. What would the consequences be for students that refuse to wear them? It would be respectful for students and teachers, and you could save on money. Lots of students spend dollars and dollars on clothes to “look good” at school, but with school uniforms that wouldn’t be much of a hassle and you can save more money. If our school made uniforms mandatory I would want them to look alike, because that would make more sense in looking more professional. If you were to take mix and matches of uniforms what is the point of having uniforms in the first place. The uniforms would have to go along with our bears theme and have our school colours. The rules to go along with the uniforms would be; mandatory to wear at school, and for school trips. School trips don’t include sports, sports have a different uniform to wear so school uniforms would not be mandatory then.

38. Yes, uniforms for students in schools are absolutely a good idea because kids are very judge mental and students are judged on how they look and will not be focused on their work, otherwise they would be worrying about how each other look. Uniforms in school have many positive effects, it will make much easier to view each other as equals and make it easier for themselves to become friends with each other based more on other qualities. Schools should require the students to wear a school uniform and there would be less violence and other issues. Violence decreases because students are less likely to be picked on for their clothing, as there can be no focus on brand names. Along with this, students who are from poorer families are less likely to feel jealous or ashamed that they do not have the same clothing as those who are from wealthier families. Also, as the children wear the same things. Discipline among the students increases because any tensions related to fashion or gangs would be less and students are more likely to be focused on the learning process. It saves money and students’ time in the morning, they don’t have to worry about what to wear, they just pick up their uniform and head out the door.

39. Wow! Naomi I really liked your post you gave a lot of reasons. I like that you put that if you put an uniform you would have not allow short skirts. You also could added if the students (girls) are allow to wear makeup or anything for there hair. But I totally agree with you 😛

40. Helen I agree with you. It would lessen the gap between the kids who don’t dress like some other people, therefore less discrimination or bullying. Good comment!

41. Yes, it would be excellent to get uniforms. Because it will cut down bullying and everything wouldn’t be a popularity war, about what you wear. It also shows respect and courtesy with the uniform displaying. It does cut off your individuality but I rather cut down the bullying then have my own individuality of what I wear, some people just need to stop thinking about them and think about others for once. These uniforms would be a great thing to come in the future even in a public school. This is a way out for bullying. I’m down with this.

42. I agree that school uniforms would be beneficial towards a lot of the students out there. Studies have shown that when students are in uniform, they do better in school and they look more proffessional or intelligent than jeans and a tank top will ever look. Also, there wouldn’t be kids who are picked on because they can’t afford all the clothes some other people are wearing, like brand names. They won’t be judged as they will all be dressed the same or similarely. Lastly, school uniforms make our school seem more unified in a way, as our uniforms would be different than other schools, just as the sports’ team jerseys with other schools, you look like a team.
    Some people say that people should be able to express themselves through their clothes but you can always do that outside of school as well. You also save tons of money for not spending as much on clothes, and you won’t have to try and impress people.

43. I think that school uniforms is an extremly bad idea. they are way too plane and if everyone has the exact same clothes then it entirely takes away all of your induviduality. A reason they will be good is to stop a little bullyying.

44. this 8is a good statement and the people should not wear uniforms in every school cause not everyone should be equal, and i think that if they put uniforms on for everyone it wont help stop the bullying, just cause of the uniform