Make a Pledge & Help Educate

We all know that there is law against distracted driving. Yes, if you get caught, you get a fine. This does not seem to stop some people. They cannot wait; they cannot take the time to pull over; they have to look and even reply to that text.

Cell phones are not going away. Mobile technology is bigger than ever before and continues to grow with every passing day. What else can we do to help people see the consequences of allowing themselves to be distracted? As a responsible young citizen of the world today, I implore you to help stop these kind of tragedies. What will you do to get the message out there? What will you do to protect your family, friends and other innocent people from such tragedy? Have the discussion now on this blog and make some decisions.

Over 440,000 people are killed or injured every year by distracted drivers. Don’t let a text be your last word. Take the pledge.

43 thoughts on “Make a Pledge & Help Educate

1. This generation simply does not care about safety or the lives of others all they care about is their own lives. All they do is stick on there phones, food, and alchohol while driving. Its just plain stupid how careless all of those people are. They should be thinking about their children and how they are setting examples for them. I think they should raise the fine to 2000$. Then people will take it seriously.

2. Other things about distracted Driving
    Other thing I would do to promote distracted driving would be things like… In the cinemas, in the previews before the movie, we could promote how to stop drinking, texting and phoning while driving. Then the people would actually listen and look at it, because they have nothing else to do, except watch the movie. Also I wouldn’t have those huge TV’s right in the middle of the cities, because even that is distracted driving if you’re staring up at it while you are driving. Um… Also, I would want to- this would be really annoying but helpful- put those little pop-up ads when you turn your computer on, they would have little quotes about distracted driving, and how to stop doing it, so that you could maybe read them every time you try to go on your computer.

3. Heather that is a very good response. That man was careless and should be more careful.

4. i think they should just pull over instead of keep driving and texting like quit it

5. Distracted Driving in 2010: 3092 people were killed in crashes that involved a distracted driver and an estimated additional 416,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver. That was only 1 year of reports. Distracted driving has hurt many innocent people over just small, pointless texts. People have lost their friends, brothers, sister and parents because of distracted driving. To make safer roads people should put down their phones and finish their conversation. You don’t want “Yeah”
    “K” to be your last words.

6. Honestly, it’s really sad that those peoples lost their lives over a text message, while driving but they should have been thinking at the time. You can’t drive and text at the same time it’s just impossible it brings down your reaction time of driving. But I think we all should have some common sense and just don’t pick up the phone when you’re driving! I will never do it. It’s too risky, I can’t multi task a motor vehicle and have cellular device in my hand. It’s just too impossible. But rest in peace, those people who died because of people who texted and driving and people who were doing it!

7. Distracted driving is a very serious topic, and people need to be aware of the consequences for this action. There are many sources out there that inform people of this, in fact, I don’t know one person who is unaware of detracted driving and/or the negative outcome that it can have. In my opinion, there is nothing more that we can do to stop texting and driving. People are always going to do what they please whenever they feel like it, and we can’t stop that. Laws are put in place to scare people out of this habit along with information, and yet drivers continue to disregard the facts. No matter what we do, distracted driving will continue to be an issue until people change their ways on their own.

8. Texting and driving has caused several injuries and deaths. On word can change someone’s life forever, with the blink of an eye it could all be over. In 2011, 1/3 of drivers have said they have sent or received text messages while driving. Statistics say that in 2010 cellphone usages while driving is more common with women than men. To prevent these tragedies from happening, speakers and presenters could make presentations on distracting driving and help people realize that these kinds of decisions have consequences. So many families suffer from these tragic accidents; it’s something they have to live with for the rest of their lives. People could also have prevention weeks to promote not driving while your focus is somewhere else, this could save many injuries and deaths.

9. Distracted Driving

Distracted driving is a major issue all over the world. Texting is one of the reasons why people get into accidents. People should start thinking about the consequences when they take even a couple seconds to look down at their phone. If cell phones were not allowed within arm’s reach I think the distracted driving rate would go down tremendously. We as people need to think about the effects of innocent people if they were to text and drive. It could damage people’s lives, and possibly kill people. I think we need to educate drivers more with videos and such about how bad texting and driving is then maybe we would have less accidents and more safe driving.

10. Distracted driving is definitely not worth the possible loss of your loved ones and other innocent people. No text can be more important than your safety and others, so I do not understand why some people feel the need to look at the text and reply while driving. We can continue to show people the effects of distracted driving, and the accidents it has caused, but that will not stop some people. I think that if you don’t do it and convince others how many lives it has taken, they might stop. Also, if you are in a car with someone and you see them get a call or text, tell them not to get it, or offer to take the call or reply to their message for them. If they do, they are risking their own life as well as someone who they might not even know. There should also be a greater fine for holding a cellular device and using it while driving, so people who were caught once, do not want to risk using it again. A safer way to communicate while driving is with a Bluetooth device, since you are not looking at your phone and you can still have your hands on the wheel as you talk. People should start using those, or just turn their phone off completely while they drive so they won’t cause any unwanted accidents.

11. Distracted driving is one of the many horrible accidents in the world.To have one text message to be your last words has gotta be terrible but can be prevented if u were to just pull over to reply. Many people get into accidents because of texting and driving but yet they still do it. If we were to all make a pledge to not text and drive there would be less tragedies and more happienes But not only am i pointing out texting and driving but drinking and driving also and other Distraced driving concerns So I pledge to not be a distracted driver. ^_^

12. The distracted driving law is good it is saving a bit of lives but people still text and drive. The man in this video was killed by looking at a text somebody sent to him. Leaving his son and wife and family members

13. What I can do for distracted driving is to be awear of those who are distracted and not to be distracted while I drive. Other then that I can’t do much more.

14. Distracted driving wastes many great lives. People are just too lazy to pull over or wait a few minutes to check a text. If everyone would just think before they did things this world would be a much safer place. We should all pledge to put down our phones and keep our eyes on the road. I don’t think there is any text worth your life. You may not kill yourself or others if you crash, but you can still ruin it by injuring them. They may not be able to walk, work, or even live without being kept alive by machines. Thousands of people die each year just because people aren’t concerned about others. Next time you are in a vehicle with someone stop them from picking up their phone and talk some sense into them. If you consider replying to a text just ask yourself; do I want my last word to be a text?

15. There was a mother and her son driving to their father’s funeral .The boy and the mom was crying when they saw a video of their father. In their eyes I can see without the father everything is empty. The video was going to be sent to their grandma, but the father probably had no time to send it to her. When the father was driving he was sending the video to their grandma. Before he did he got in a car crash and he died.
    One thing will help people stop texting and driving, is getting a fine from the police like drinking and driving. When they do get a fine the next time they get a text message they will ignore it. Also if you do want to text the person badly, you can let another person in the car to text it back. To get this message out there I would tell my community about the video and my point of view and then they can pass it on. A reason to protect my family from texting is to let me hold the phone so the next time they get a text I will tell the person he/she is driving, or I will ignore them.

16. In the video the message was to not text and drive. You could end up harming yourself and others. If you really need to read the texts pull over or get somebody else in the car to read it. Over 140,000 people are injured or killed every year by distracted divers. Would you want to be responsible for hurting someone just because you had to read a text? So don’t take any chances.

17. Distracted driving awareness
    To let people know about what could happen in the case of a distracted driving collision I think big towns should stage a big fake car crash. If people thought it was real, it could be quite effective. Some other ways could be to put thousands of big billboards around cities and on the highways. Lots of people die every year because of distracted driving. If we could prevent at least a hundred deaths a year, I think we would be making progress.

18. Distracted Driving Law

I think that texting and driving is bad. It is bad because if you are distracted and you cause an accident then it is your fault and you could injure someone and even kill them and yourself .But if you don’t die you will go to court and could get fined for not paying attention.

19. Texting and diving is bad for people because you might get in car cash or get badly injured and you might die. If you get stop by the cops you will get a fined.

20. In this video the message was to not text and drive. The boy’s father died while texting so when the boy pulled out a phone with a shattered screen that phone was probably what gave him the car crash.
    When you hear your phone beep when you’re driving you should ignore it until you get out of the car or get someone in the vehicle with you to look at it if you think it’s important.
    Lots of people are killed by distracted driving there is also lots of other distraction when driving not only texting or using your phone.

21. Distracted driving
    The distracted driving law is good it is saving a bit of lives but people still text and drive. The man in this video was killed by looking at a text somebody sent to him. Leaving his son and wife and family members. I’m never going to text and drive when I’m older.

22. I think distracted driving is bad. It kills hundreds of thousands of people every year. Plus it doesn’t only take the person whose distracted driving’s life it can take others to. I won’t ever drive while distracted because it could take my life and others. I will report people that are distracted driving.

23. DISTRACTED DRIVING
    In what I’ve seen in that video, I think that the boy’s dad die because of distracted driving. So for me if somebody text you in your phone think before you get it, if you get it without thinking you might kill somebody and kill yourself coz you’re not seeing the road and you’re not driving right. So for all the drivers there think before you pick up your phone when somebody text you might kill somebody and kill yourself too.

24. Approximately 37% of drivers have texted while driving at least once, while 18% of drivers have said they have formed the habit of doing it often

25. Distracted Driving
    Distracted Driving kills lots of people like the boy’s father in the video. But to get the word out there we should put build boards about distracted driving. I won’t call or text someone in my family when I think they’re on the road.

26. Distracted Driving
    Distracted driving affects many people in the world. There is a distracted driving law that if you are driving while texting, calling or getting yourself distracted, you will get caught and have to pay a large fee. People are killed every day because of distracted drivers.
    People get careless when driving and don’t really notice that their eyes have to be on the road and not on their phones, books, laptops or really anything. Keep yourself safe by not answering your phone, texting, finishing work, changing the radio, etc. I would never drive distracted and if you need to answer the phone ask someone else in the car to answer it, but if you’re alone just don’t answer it. Keep the roads safe from distracted drivers. They should put more ads up for distracted driving. If you are driving distracted, you’re not just hurting yourself, but you’re hurting the people around you. Don’t let a phone call or text be your last word!

27. Distractive driving

I think that if we all had Bluetooth in are car then we could focus on the road and talk the people wale we drive so if the stores lowered the price of the blue tooth then the road would be safer for new drivers to drive on the road and there would be less accidents on the road and less deaths on the road. THE END

28. Distracted driving
    Distracted driving kills 440,000 every year. Every year that’s 440,000 families torn by tragedy. Although some people make most don’t and a fact. What if you were driving and you got a text or a phone call? Would you take it? Would you risk a live just for technology? Because it may not be your life you’re wagering and who has that right. Or would you stay safe and ignore? If you were hungry would eat a McDonalds as you drove? Because eating and driving is just as dangerous. Or would you take the time to get out of a parked vehicle and go to the restaurant and eat at a table. And what if you were bored would you simply drive with one hand as you change the dial. Because on handed driving may lead to a left way drag into the wrong lane. And who wants to live with that. This is a way of life and as humans we have the ability to change it! Why should we just sit around waiting for disaster to strike? We should stop right now and put away the cell phone and burger or even the radio dial and just drive! When you park then is the time for eating and music changing and even your cell phone. I say we all take a pledge not to distracted drive.

29. Texting and Driving

I hate it when people are distracted while driving. I know it is not good, and I really think that more people should pay attention to driving, and not their phones. I don’t have an I-pod so I can’t text at all, but with everyone having cell phones or I-pods, they can text. And that causes lots of problems. I was driving here in town, and in front of our school, and I saw this person in another car. I think they were a man but all I could see was the top of their head. They were completely oblivious to their surroundings. I was pretty shocked. Yes I know tons of people text and drive, but still, they were passing a school zone where there could have been kids, and they weren’t paying attention so they could’ve run someone over. I really think that what ti says is completely true. Don’t let the text be your last words.

30. texting and driving is bad because lots of people get badly injured or killed. ways i could get the message out there is tell them about it or make them take the pledge. a lot of people should think about what they might be leaving behind before doing it.

31. We had just seen a very sad video. It was about a mother and a son driving to a cemetery. The boy helps with a coffin. He sees a phone with a cracked screen. It’s about him, his mother, and his father. The man in the coffin was his father. You can tell how devastating that is for a young man, for EVERYONE. Now I know this may hurt but imagine being that kid who had just lost a loved one due to distracted driving. Imagine how that feels. Now imagine you’re the father. You’re so close to seeing your wife and son after a long and stressful day, so much that you pull out your cell phone to tell them you’re on your way. You didn’t see the red light and your hit dead. That would be horrible. I for one do not wish for this to happen. So I make one of the most important pledges in life. I pledge to never text and drive. I hope you will to.

32. texting driving is bad because lots of people get badly injured or even killed. the video we watched implied that when your texting and driving you lose your loved ones and can even cause other people to lose their family members but swirving all over the road. if people realize the dangers in texting while driving there probably wouldnt be as much accidents.

33. Distracted Driving
    Distracted driving can kill many people; well it has killed many people. You can cause a crash in a wink. Would you drink and drive? Would you anything to risk your life? Of course not. Drinking and driving has killed over 440,000 people! Crashes can kill 1, 2 or even 3 people in one crash! 3 D’s > Don’t Drink Drive.
    These are many of the causes to distracted driving.

• Texting while driving
    • Calling while driving
    • Eating while driving
    • Drinking while driving
    • ETC.

If you don’t drink, you can save a life.
    Don’t drink and drive, it could save a life.

34. Distracted driving
    Distracted driving has killed many people and taken many lives away. Some people live but some people don’t make it. If you were driving a car and your phone went off what would you do? Would you continue driving and answer your phone? Or would you pull over and then check your phone. What would you do? If you were really hungry and you stopped for food but you needed to go somewhere right away so you went through the drive through and got your food what would you do? Would you drive and eat at the same time? Or would you eat really fast and then continue driving? Some people can eat and drive at the same time and not get distracted but others cannot eat and drive so they usually go in a food place or they order it then eat it in their car. Distracted driving has killed or injured over 440,000 people a year that’s a lot of people let’s not kill more.

35. Distracted Driving
    What I would do about the distracted driving law is , when the person is caught with a phone, or texting or phoning, they should, be pulled over, be given a brief lecture, and be fined, a large fine of 1000 dollars, but only if the phone call wasn’t an emergency. If it was like, your daughter calling to say that the oven was on fire that would be alright…
    Other than that, I’m really not sure. I guess that I would give out stickers to everyone at work, school, and stores. Way more commercials for drinking and driving, and new ones for texting and driving. I would make auto drivers, in the cars, so that if a really whacked driver came at you, the auto driver would swerve.

36. Distracted Driving
    Distracting Driving is one of the world’s worst Tragedy makers. We know that Mobiles and other Phones will not go away. That doesn’t mean we can’t prevent it from happening. One little Word or Text can Change your life. Don’t let it be your last.